Cook a Mondongo Antioqueño as we do at La Casona Restaurant
The Mondongo Antioqueño consists on a style of stewed soup, very loaded, with abundant broth and quite tasty, very similar to the Callos Madrileños, it can be accompanied with white rice, salad, ripe, arepa, according to the taste of the diner.
La Casona Restaurant explains ¿what is Mondongo?
The stomach of the beef is the key ingredient that gives the name to this preparation, and it`s very common in Colombian lands and it could be said that in Latin America, it is known with the term of “Mondongo” to the beef stomach, specifically to the zone of accumulation of fat.
It is not meat, nor does it consist of a piece or section of muscle, but rather the skin of the stomach of the cow or beef. The stomach is white, you may notice that on one hand, it is smooth, which corresponds to the external part of the organ, while the internal part has a texture like fibers to the shape of membranillas.
The truth is that it is not meat and must be thoroughly cleaned before its preparation, to better its particular flavor and smell, which represents the most important step in the process of cooking a good dish of Mondongo and today, by decision of Our Chef, we bring our secret for the preparation of an original Mondongo Antioqueño at home.
Ingredients for the Mondongo Antioqueño as we do La Casona Restaurant
- 4 pounds of Mondongo or cayos.
- 1 pound of Pig’s leg.
- 3 chorizos chopped into pieces.
- 1 cup of hogao.
- 12 cups of water.
- 4 cubes of chicken broth.
- 4 garlic cloves crushed.
- 1 chopped onion.
- 3 potatoes divided into squares.
- 2 carrots.
- 1 pound of diced yucca.
- 1/2 pound of cooked peas.
- 1/4 pound spoonful of chopped coriander.
- Salt to taste.
Note: equivalent portion for 3 people.
Previous step: Clean Mondongo
Before starting, we have told you that we should clean the Mondongo very well as follows:
1. Make sure to clean very well with warm water, drop it and try again until getting clean water.
2. With a sharp knife, remove the viscera (if they have sold you it with them) and cut into manageable pieces, about 20 x 20 cm.
3. Remove the membranes that you see dark or unpleasant looking.
4. In a deep bowl, filled with water and salt, in it, you will rub the pieces of Mondongo with salt, if it possible sea salt, until you feel that it softens its texture and takes a lighter shade.
5. Place a pot with water to boil and add an approximate 1 or 2 cups of white vinegar.
6. Let the Mondongo pieces cook in that water for 10 minutes, until you notice that the water turns cloudy.
7. Put it away from the fire, drop that water, let it get cool and rinse in a new water.
8. Go over the pieces again, removing impurities with a knife.
The idea is to obtain some manageable pieces to continue with the preparation, of pleasant smell, light color and without nasty membranes that hang from them.
Preparation of Mondongo Antioqueño
1. Once clean, cook the Mondongo with enough water for an hour, until it softens and then throws away the water.
2. Cut the Mondongo and pork leg into small pieces.
3. In a bowl place the pieces of pork, Mondongo, and chorizos and smooth them. For best results let them sit for two hours.
4. Boil the 12 cups of water, add cubes of chicken stock, onion, garlic and saffron, cook for 20 minutes.
5. Then add the Mondongo, pork leg, chorizo, and vegetables.
6. Let it cook over medium heat for 30 minutes until the vegetables soften and the broth gets the desired texture.
7. Finally, turn off the preparation and add the chopped coriander, let stand a few minutes and serve hot.
In a separate dish serve the desired contours and ready.
Serve and eat a plate of Mondongos Antioqueños as we do at La Casona Restaurant!
We invite you to visit La Casona Restaurant to live an unforgettable gastronomic experience we have for you, and many other Colombian dishes, we also offer you to know the culture, enjoy our comfortable family atmosphere and more recipes like this one!
Leave us your questions and comments, write us, call or contact us for reservations or visit our social networks for more information.
Our Location: 768 Broad Street, Central Falls, Rhode Island 02863
We will wait for you.
Authentic ingredients and Colombian flavor
5:00am – 9:00pm
5:00am – 10:30pm
7:00am − 8:00pm
Drop Us a Line
Don’t be shy. Let us know if you have any questions!